I’ve been a professional freelance learning designer, writer, and editor since the mid-90s. I’m a native English speaker living in the Netherlands, and I have a strong interest in working with NGOs and agencies in the international development sector.
To learn about my clients and projects, please take a look at this page.
I love not only the design and writing work, but also the interpersonal work that is so crucial to all of this, including interviewing and collaborative brainstorming.
I’ve done a lot of training and professional development facilitation, too. My main clients have been NewsBank, Inc. (technology and curriculum integration) and PassageWorks (occupational stress reduction with a mindfulness focus). Lately, I’ve chosen to focus on the behind-the-scenes work. I’m less often in front of the audience, but my years of training experience help me put myself in the facilitators’ and participants’ shoes when I design learning materials for them.
In my 8 years of experience in the career development field, I helped hundreds of adult clients more effectively handle work situations, discover their strengths and interests, and implement best practices in the job search.
And, yes, I have a personal life, too…I play the Irish tin whistle, write poetry, and enjoy fine tea and moderately priced wine. I’m a serial traveler but also love having a home community!
Here’s a snapshot of my credentials:
- ATD Master Instructional Designer
- Designing Virtual Learning Certificate (ATD)
- Essentials of Training for Global Audiences (ATD)
- 20+ years of experience designing instructional materials
- 20+ years of experience training and coaching adults
- 20+ years of experience writing and editing professional documents
- Master’s in Counseling
- Teaching Credential (secondary social studies)
- Master of Arts in Geography